Sunday, September 16, 2012

Current Events

It has been many years since I last added to my blog. I definitely let it go while working, being Mema, gardening, reading, etc.

Now I am retired - officially May 15, 2012. I have had a few months of extra naps and feel ready to begin again.

I plan to start with current events and, hopefully, work backwards...at least as much as possible with the memory issues of being over 60! Bob says we are "old and confused" now. I fear he is right. Of course, I always worry about the beginnings of Alzheimer's since mom has suffered for over 13 years with this horrible disease. It IS a very long good-bye.

Anyway. Here goes:

This last Friday I went to LaCrosse to see mom. It was her 96th birthday September 13th and Irene and I planned to sit with her. We no longer visit; that ended a number of years ago. Our brother, Fran, joined us this time and then we all went out to dinner. Irene's husband, Tom, joined us. It was a really nice visit. We took mom out in the courtyard and she reacted when we came out of the nursing home into the fresh air....just a noise, but a reaction nevertheless.

BUT before I even got to Irene's, I had a little adventure. It is a 3 hour drive to LaCrosse and it was uneventful, until I left the Interstate and came to the Highway 53 stoplight. I moved forward a little, looked to the left and saw a car coming a bit too close, so I stopped. The semi behind did not stop! BAM. He crunched into the backend of our little Vibe. I hardly believed it had happened. It has been at least 40 years since I was in a car accident.

I pulled over and made room behind me for the semi. We got out, he said, "You looked, and I didn't." Yup. We exchanged information, and I drove to Irene's house in Onalaska. I was kind of shaken by the whole event. She said, "What did the police say?" I said we didn't call the police. Oops. Big no-no! I called Bob and he said, "What did the police say?" Again...........

Side bar: 40 years ago, a car pulled out from a street parking place in Tomah and banged into me. I left and went to Bob's work and told him. He said, "What did the police say?" So, I have somewhat of a history of leaving the scene, I guess. He says I was "young and innocent" then, and now I am "old and confused." Sigh.

Off we went to the Onalaska Police Station. The officer was really nice, but he did say it is a LOT easier to get all the information HE needs at the scene of the accident. You would think I would know that! Geesh.

Now I/we? have to do all the insurance and car repair stuff in the next few weeks.

I came home Saturday late morning, and it was an uneventful trip. Thank goodness.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to hear you're OK. Thanks for the update, I really enjoy your well written thoughts!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Mema said...

Thanks, Christian. Will try to keep it up.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Roberta said...

I am so glad to have found this wonderful blog!! Great way to feel connected again!! Miss you!
Roberta

8:11 AM  
Blogger cmz said...

Glad all is well. Thanks for my chuckle of the day. Not funny what happened just that you certainly can write a great story.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home