Thursday, September 20, 2012

Waiting no longer

My mom, Dorothy Rose Gund Mara, died this morning at the age of 96. She suffered with Alzheimer's for the last 13 years. Because of that disease, she has been missed for a number of years, and now she will be missed forever.


                           
I wrote this list a LONG time ago about mom.

I Remember Mom……….
Her faith in God
Hanging clothes outside on Mondays, especially in order to enjoy the fresh smell
Ironing every Tuesday when I came home from school and me sitting there talking about everything.
Waking us up early on Saturday mornings to clean the house...each and every Saturday
Debating current events after supper
Getting into heated discussions and then hugging me because it wasn’t about us!
Lying on the living room floor listening to Sound of Music, Camelot, etc., especially if she could be in the sunshine!
Singing harmony with her sister, Laura
Getting dressed up every Friday afternoon to go the “Club” with my dad (and us when we were younger)
Nagging me unmercifully to “get a job” at 14 when I really didn’t want to….I did.
Putting make-up on every day at her vanity table
Looking through her jewelry box for the perfect accompaniment to her outfit
Dad and Mom checking that their “outfits” didn’t clash
Moisturizing every morning and evening for nice skin (and it worked!)
Singing
Enjoying being outside….even a walk around the house was relaxing for her
Hard as a rock towels from them hanging outside in the fresh air, but they did smell good!
Enjoying my children and all they did
Always finding the positive in the kids and Bob……especially when I couldn’t!
Laughing at/with the kids when they put of “shows” for her
Listening endlessly to my dad talk because she loved him and he was a good man
Sharing funny times together and making her laugh out loud
Me calling her only when things weren’t right and her never saying, “Why don’t you call more often?”
Really enjoying the antics of Copper, our cat
Telling me to sit in the sun when I didn’t feel good…….”You will feel better.” And I did.
Getting ready to go golfing with such anticipation even though she was never very good at it….she was a great chipper and putter, though!
Turning very brown in the summer and then spending lots of time moisturizing, lots of time.
Being always ready to go for a ride at a moment’s notice
Taking her on three trips after she was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and her enjoyment of every moment of each of them
Her love, constant and always

 

 

 


 



1 Comments:

Blogger cmz said...

Anita, what a beautiful tribute to your mom (tears to my eyes). What a blessing to have all those memories. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Love ya!!

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home